Did you watch The Sound of Music? I know Austria and Bavaria are not the same place and that it all has nothing to do with this Bavarian Apple Torte, but I have been looking forward to it. The TV show and this dessert. We make this every holiday season, and it is a hit wherever we share it. Like Maria this dessert has humble beginnings, simple ingredients, but man what a voice. This dessert can sing!
Who doesn’t love cream cheese? There might be someone out there, but I haven’t met you yet. This is part cheesecake, part apple pie and all perfection! The crust is combination of flour, sugar and butter. How could something that simple taste so good?!? I just zip it up in my Cuisinart, but a stand mixer works too. Press the dough into a springform pan coming up the sides about 1 inch. This beautiful crust is topped with cream cheese, sugar, one egg and vanilla. Seriously easy, right? The apples are tossed with sugar and cinnamon, softened for 5 minutes in the microwave, and set on top. Ready to go in the oven and bake till golden brown. Just add the almonds for the last 5 minutes to brown slightly. The hardest part of this recipe is WAITING for it to cool. It is important to wait at least 5-10 minutes so that you can remove the outer collar from the springform pan without the crust sticking. Then dig in! This Bavarian Apple Torte is so elegant in it’s simplicity.
- ½ cup butter
- ⅓ cup white sugar
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 apples - peeled cored and sliced
- ⅓ cup white sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Cream together butter, sugar, vanilla and flour. Press crust mixture into the flat bottom of a 9 inch springform pan. Set aside.
- Blend cream cheese and sugar in a medium bowl, add in egg and vanilla. Pour cheese mixture over crust.
- Toss apples with sugar and cinnamon. Cook in microwave on high for 5 minutes to soften.
- Spread apple mixture over the cream cheese.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Lower temperature to 400 and bake for 20 minutes more. Add almonds and bake additional 5 minutes.
- Let cool at least 5-10 minutes and remove collar from springform pan.
- Serve and enjoy!
Here are a few of our holiday recipes we hope you will try:
This post has been linked to these fun sites! – What’s Cooking Love – A Glimpse Inside Blog - Life With the Crust Cut Off – 52 Mantels – Life, Laugh, Rowe, Lamberts LatelyLiving Well Spending – Junkie- The Frugal Girls