Our family has always been big about holidays.
We can’t pass up any excuse to celebrate and have had great Mardi Gras, Chinese New Year and Cinco de Mayo celebrations to name a few. When my kids were growing up they also used to love St. Patrick’s Day. The whole day was filled with green food from breakfast to dinner and I wish that I had found this pin for Jello Ice Cream Shamrocks from Creative Food way back then. My kids would have loved it and now yours can too!
The fun thing about this recipe is that after you mix everything together, while it is cooling the ice cream rises to the top to make a fun layer. Oh and if you see any little black specks on the Jello, I promise it isn’t dirt! I used a vanilla bean ice cream and those are specks of vanilla bean. Phew. I knew you were worried.
I’m sure you could make these in any flavor and cut with any shape of cookie cutter. The possibilities are endless. But for the time being, these will be on our menu for our St. Patrick’s Day dinner! Top of the mornin’ to ya cause This Pin Rocks!
- 2 packages of 3 oz green lime Jello or one 6 oz box.
- 1 package knox unflavored gelatin
- 4 cups boiling water
- Approx 1 qt (or less) vanilla bean ice cream
- Boil the four cups of water. After it reaches a hard boil, add the lime Jello and gelatin and mix well until everything is dissolved. Add the ice cream and mix until the ice cream is melted.
- Pour into a 9×13 pan and put in the refrigerator to cool.
- Let set for about 4 hours but overnight is best.
- When completely set, cut with desired cookie cutter and take out of the pan with a spatula. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Make sure to eat the leftovers!