I love these Cream Cheese Chicken Taquitos because you make the chicken filling in the crockpot. Walking in the door to the smell of this flavorful creamy chicken filling was heaven! Right away my kids wanted to know what was cooking in the crockpot. I love pretty much everything about crockpot cooking. It’s easy, the meat is always moist and tender, the house smells so good when you get home and clean up is easy.
Most of all I love that it allows me to spend less time in the kitchen and more time with my family. Sometimes life gets so hectic that we don’t take time to just enjoy each other’s comapany. Last Sunday our two oldest children were visiting from out of state. My daugther, her 15 month old daughter “muffin” or “stinkywink” to us, and our oldest son. It was bed time for Muffin and she was getting a little fussy. My daughter found a pack of Glow Sticks in one of our upstairs bedrooms, everyone gathered in the living room, we turned off all the lights downstairs and one by one everyone lit up a glow stick.
Muffin squealed with delight as each glow stick lit up. We gave her 3 glow sticks and taught her how to wave her little arms so the Glow Sticks would make a pattern in the dark. Our glow stick play time lasted an hour and a half. Muffin was entertained by the glow sticks and we were entertained by Muffin’s excitement and antics. It was the best part of our week together and helped remind me that it is truly the simple things in life that can bring us the greatest joy and happiness. I loved that the TV wasn’t on, no one had a laptop, tablet or phone in their hand, as far as technology is concerned we were completely disconnected. As a family we were making the connections that really count by doing something as simple as playing with Glow Sticks!
If you are like our family sitting down to dinner together is challenging, it doesn’t happen often enough during the week. Sunday is the one day we always have the whole family at the dinner table. I try to make Sunday dinners something special that everyone will like. These Cream Cheese Chicken Taquitos did the job, everyone loved them and wants them added into our dinner rotation. A huge thank you to Tiffany from Creme de le Crumb for the great recipe. A recipe that pleases everyone in my family can only mean one thing……. This Pin Rocks!
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- salt + pepper
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- ⅓ cup water
- 1 to 1 ½ cups shredded colby or Mexican blend cheese
- 12 6 inch corn or flour tortillas
- optional: cilantro, salsa, sour cream, or other toppings as desired
- Mix chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, salt and pepper to taste, cream cheese, and water in a medium mixing bowl. Pour half of the mixture into your crockpot, place chicken in crockpot and pour remaining mixture over the chicken.
- Cover and cook on low 8 hours or high for 4 hours.
- Minutes before serving, remove chicken from crock pot, shred with two forks, and return to slow cooker. Give it a stir. Cook about 15 minutes longer.
- Preheat oven to 400. Here is a great trick to keep your corn tortilla from falling apart. Place 1 corn tortilla on a skillet, put about ⅛ cup cheese on the corn tortilla. Warm the tortilla until the cheese melts, remove tortilla from pan. Melting the cheese on the corn tortilla will keep it from falling apart in the next step.
- Place about ¼ cup of the chicken mixture onto the middle of each corn tortilla that has the melted cheese on it or a flour tortilla.
- Top with 1-2 tablespoons shredded cheese. Roll tightly and place in a single layer on a greased baking sheet. If using corn tortilla brushing some olive oil over them will help with browning and crisping.
- Bake 10 minutes, until tortillas are slightly browned and shredded cheese is melted. Serve with desired toppings and sauces.