Christmas Stocking Cookies
Recipe type: Cookies
Serves: 2 dozen 5" cookies
- ½ cup butter, room temperature
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1½ cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup butter, room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2-3 tablespoons cream or half and half
- gel or powder red food coloring
- Optional: coarse sparkling white sugar
- Cream butter.
- Add sugar to creamed butter.
- Beat in egg and vanilla.
- Sift flour with baking powder and salt. (Or mix well with a fork like I do!)
- Stir dry ingredients into creamed ones.
- Chill dough, tightly wrapped in plastic wrap, for 1 hour.
- Roll out thin (about 1/16" thick) on a generously floured surface
- Transfer cut out cookies to parchment lined baking sheet.
- Refrigerate baking sheet of cookies 10 minutes before baking.
- Bake for 6-8 minutes at 350 degrees, until just browning on the edges.
- Watch closely at the six-minute mark.
- Cool and frost or freeze.
- Cream butter.
- Add in powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time.
- Mix in vanilla and cream, 'til it's the consistency you want.
- Separate frosting into two bowls: leave ⅓ white, and color ⅔ red.
- Stir in red food coloring a little at a time 'til you get the color you like.
- Mix well.
- Frost stockings red with the butter knife or spatula.
- Use a decorating bag and Wilton frosting star tip #16 to make stars on the cuff.
- Sprinkle with coarse white sparkling sugar.
Recipe by Made From Pinterest at https://madefrompinterest.net/christmas-stocking-cookies/