Spicy Sausage Pasta
Author: Adapted from America's Test Kitchen "The Best Simple Recipe"
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb smoked sausage
- 1.5 cups diced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (10 oz) can Ro-Tel tomatoes and green chiles, Mild
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 8 oz penne pasta
- ½ teaspoon salt and pepper, each
- 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- ⅓ cup thinly sliced scallions
- Add oil to an oven safe skillet. Saute sausage and onions until the onions are soft about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic for about 30 seconds while stirring until fragrant.
- Add to the skillet broth, tomatoes, cream, pasta, salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Put lid on the skillet, bring to a boil and simmer until pasta is cooked, about 15 minutes.
- When pasta is cooked, remove from heat.
- Add 1//2 cup cheese to the pasta and stir until it is melted and incorporated. Add remaining cheese to the top and place skillet under broiler until cheese is bubbly and brown.
- Top with scallions and serve.
If you would like a less spicy version, you may used petite diced tomatoes instead of the Mild Ro-Tel Tomatoes.
Recipe by Made From Pinterest at https://madefrompinterest.net/2013/09/spicy-sausage-pasta/