I can’t wait to share one of our favorite family meals with you today. This is a go to weeknight meal that I hope you will enjoy.When I first moved out on my own, spaghetti was one of my favorite things to make. Not because it was one of my favorite things to eat, but because all you have to do is boil some pasta, heat a jar of marinara sauce, and sprinkle some parmesan cheese. Dinner done! When I reached for the jar of marinara sauce on our first shopping trip after getting married, my hubby was puzzled. He asked me why I was getting jarred sauce. For spaghetti, I explained. He said Ewww! and I said Ugh! He was raised by his wonderful, Italian mother who made everything from scratch. I called her once for her marinara recipe. Turns out she grew the ingredients in her garden, canned the tomatoes and then made the sauce. It all seemed so much more complicated than the jar!
This Italian Skillet Chicken has all of those fresh flavors, and you can still get dinner on the table in 30 minutes. My daughter says it is her new favorite healthy meal. I love when budget friendly and family friendly come together!
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 Tablespoons of olive oil
- 4 medium ripe tomatoes, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
- 4 Tablespoons Basil chiffonade
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Pound chicken breasts between two sheets of plastic wrap to an even thickness.
- Generously salt and pepper both sides of the chicken.
- Heat 2 Tablespoons olive oil in skillet over medium heat.
- Cook chicken until brown on both sides, turning once, about 6-8 minutes.
- While chicken is cooking, dice tomatoes and garlic.
- To create a basil chiffonade take 6-8 leaves of basil and roll in a bundle lengthwise. Cut through the bundle, creating ribbons.
- When chicken is done, remove to a plate and place tomatoes in the skillet over medium heat until tomatoes break down, about 6 minutes.
- Add minced garlic and balsamic vinegar. heat through, about 2 minutes.
- Remove tomato sauce from pan and place in a bowl.
- Wipe out the skillet with a paper towel.
- Place chicken back in the skillet and top each piece of chicken 1 Tablespoon of basil.
- Next, layer the tomatoes on top of the chicken and top with mozzarella cheese. Pile it high!
- Place under the broiler until cheese is melted , spotty browned and bubbly.
Some perfect sides to go with this meal are:
We are sharing this yummy recipe: Tatertots And Jello , Just Us Four Blog, Be Different Act Normal, Will Cook For Smiles, Cheerios And Lattes,Inside BruCrew Life, The Recipe Critic, Hun What’s For Dinner , A Bowl Full Of Lemons , Lady Behind The Curtain,