I’m always slightly anxious when trying a new dinner recipe like this White Chicken Lasagna. Best case scenario most of the family likes the new recipe, and it gets added to our dinner rotation. Worst case scenario no one likes it including me and it ends up getting thrown away. I end up frustrated by the amount of time and money I spent on a meal that wasn’t edible. AND I have a to make another meal to feed my hungry crew…FAST! I have learned to be very selective when trying new dinner recipes to avoid last minute dinner disasters.
Even though this recipe was chosen carefully, I knew my families first response to a different kind of lasagna would be skeptical at best or full retaliation at worst. Classic lasagna is an all round family favorite, it is always requested for birthday dinners and special occasions, we even made it for Christmas dinner one year. My crew is serious about their love of classic lasagna!
It was no surprise when I placed a big pan of White Chicken Lasagna on the table that I heard moans of disappointment. Followed by “what is this”? “where is your regular lasagna recipe”? “there’s no such thing as White Chicken Lasagna”! “If this is terrible do we have to eat it”? (outside of rare exceptions the answer is always yes.)
I ignored their questions and quietly placed some White Chicken Lasagna on each of their plates and waited. A few moments later I heard “this is great” “I can’t believe how good this is” “Mom you should definitely make this again.” It’s not often a new recipe is met with rave reviews from every single person in my family. The question now is which lasagna will get requested the most?
- 2 (12 oz) cans evaporated milk
- 1 (1 oz) pkg. Any Gluten Free Dry Ranch Salad Dressing (not the dip blend)
- 3 C. cubed, cooked, chicken (about 2 large chicken breasts)
- ⅛ tsp pepper
- 2-3 C. uncooked gluten free penne or lasagna pasta
- 1 C cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 C mozzarella cheese, grated
- ½ Gluten free breadcrumbs
- ¼ Green onions
- Spray a 9x13 baking dish. Cook pasta until about 2 minutes under regular cook time (probably about 5-6 minutes). Drain, add to prepared dish.
- Combine evaporated milk, Ranch dressing and pepper in a 3 quart heavy saucepan. Bring it just to a boil then lower heat, stirring frequently until dry ingredients are dissolved. Simmer, uncovered, 25 minutes, stirring frequently. Sauce will thicken slightly.
- Layer pasta, chicken, sauce, and cheese into dish. Bake uncovered at 350' for 25 minutes or until hot golden brown and bubbly. Remove lasagna from oven and sprinkle ½ cup gluten free bread crumbs on lasagna, return to oven and brown the bread crumbs for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle ¼ cup green onions before serving.
- Let rest 10 minutes before serving.
More recipes to try at Made From Pinterest!